Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter: Just another exhausting holiday?

Another Easter has come and gone.  One of those things that seems to be upon me quicker each year.  Up at 5am to get to church to setup for the sunrise service, back home to get the family and some photos in their Easter best, back to church for Sunday School and service, to Shelly's grandparents for lunch, to my folks for supper, and back home at 9pm to a cluttered island counter and dirty dishes from the day before.

Even got to end the day with a strong "discussion" with the teenager.  I was informed that he was ready to move out (because I was mad that he had tossed his brothers wash cloth on the floor of the tub, got his shower, and left it laying there, sopping wet, where Ethan found it the next day).  Why should he hang it up? He did not use it.  In fact, we should be happy that he got out a wash cloth for his brother!  He even proclaimed that he cannot comprehend my thought process!  Ahhhh, to be a teen.  To be king of a land that exists only in a fantasy.  A great friend told me that they will either grow out of it or move out.  I do pray for him to grow out of it.  I believe we learn more about the character of God through our family relationships than just about anything else.

I truly enjoy and am grateful for my Sunday school group.  I rushed through the Sunday School lesson.  It is a hard week to lead honestly.  The church does not do much to prepare for Easter.  The Sunday school lessons don't do anything either except to drop a passage on Easter Sunday.  Easter is such a great time to study, reflect, and grow our relationship with God, but as always, schedules and obligations seem to keep us from it.  Trying to just hit the highlights of Passion week means just barley skimming the surface, let alone trying to have meaningful discussions on it.

Listening to a series by Stephen Davey of Colonial Baptist Church in Cary, NC about "Life After Easter" now.  Don't want Easter to be just another exhausting holiday.

On an unrelated note, I got to ride another 17 miles on my new road bike Saturday afternoon between rain showers.  Got a little wet on the last few miles.  Still have more time and distance on the trainer for the year than I do outside, but hopefully that will change as the weather continues to improve.  Also won an eBay auction for a new take off Fizik Antares.  The stock seat is causing some numbness in a very uncomfortable area.  While I had not planned to pick up one of the super light ($$$) saddles, I could not pass up a deal on a $200, 175g saddle for $55!  Hope it is here in time for the Team Athens Tuesday Time Trial on the 26th.

No comments: