Monday, April 11, 2011

Oh Snap

To barrow a phrase from my son, "oh snap"!

The weather was looking good.  Lots of cool/cold/rainy weather was letting go and Sunday was promising sunny skies and 80's.  Well, it's a little hot, but I'll take what I can get.  I ran in the end of the rain showers on Saturday and got in a good 4 mile run.  But, I have a new bike with 70 miles on it.  Weekends are so busy, I was really looking forward to the opportunity to take 3 hours and try to squeeze 40 miles of of it.  Got home from church and was eating lunch when Shelly says, "what are those bugs flying up from the deck"?

For anyone, termites mean trouble.  For log home dwellers, termites are down right scary!


Instead of riding, I got to rip up my back deck, pull the aluminum flashing off the 4x10 hemlock rim "joist" to inspect for termite damage.  The little suckers were hiding their damage well out of site.  I am glad Shelly saw them.  The weather was just right that they were coming out of their ground based winter home and we just happened to be home to see it.  Normally, we go to my folks for lunch after church.  This quite possibly could have gone another year without notice had that happened.  Does not look like there is any real structural damage, but it is a mess to repair/inspect and treat. Oh, snap.

No comments: