Thursday, July 25, 2013

Ready for adventure now!

It seemed like a simple idea.  Put a rack on the roof of my topper so we could haul whatever up there and still have the full bed for storage and/or truck camping.  I did my research into what roof system I wanted and settled on the Yakima setup with 66" load bars, control towers and landing pad 1's for a track system.  The longest Yakima track is 60 inches, so I ordered a set of Rhino-Rack tracks (RTC18) that are 71" long (and as it turns out, I must of got the last set in the USA as they discontinued the long length due to lack of demand).

I had the chance yesterday to install the tracks.  After careful measuring to make sure they were on axis, parallel, centered, etc, I drilled the topper while trying to keep Brock from climbing the ladder or drill a hole in my truck.  Finished it up this morning and tried to install the landing pads only to discover the plastic spacers were missing making the bolts too long.  Luckily, I found a stash of plastic spacers the same size at work.  Finally, with blisters on my fingers the bars are installed.

It was and is a good idea, but certainly more work than it should have been.

 
Had a nice visit to the Donkey coffee shop this week.  I love Athens before the town wakes up.  Felt like I had the place to myself.


Last thought for the day... It is 30 Mile Meal month in Athens Co.  This is a movement to encourage you to source your food within 30 miles of you.  I spent what seems like half of my childhood at the neighbors sheep farm.  Seemed appropriate to enjoy some lamb chops from them.  (Check them out if you are in Athens or Columbus, they sell at several Kroger grocery stores).
 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

got lost on the internet tonight and wound up here. nice rack on the truck and what lovely chops. i'll just assume you're still getting alerted on a 3 month old post. :)

DougM said...

Who knew I would be buying lamb chops at Kroger from your dad!