Friday, May 20, 2011

The days are long, but the years are short.

Long week.  Monday started with a phone call that Shelly's grandmother, Erma (for those of you that went to Albany Elementary, Erma cooked you lunches for years), had been admitted to the ICU and things were not looking promising that she would make it much longer.  After a long day at the hospital for Shelly , her sister, cousins, folks, aunt, etc., they moved Erma to a private room and stopped all life sustaining efforts.  She has since been moved back to Hickory Creek to make her feel more "at home".  She was apparently spelling out heaven, "H-E-A-V-E-N, I am ready to go".

Little less than 16 years ago, Erma was coming to our apartment to watch Michael, who was just a baby, so Shelly and I could go to college and work.  Now Michael has turned 16 and Erma is in her last days.

Late Monday evening I heard a sudden hissing sound.  A quick search of the house showed a 1/8" stream of water spraying out of our hot water heater.  Luckily, Brock had already had his bath.  Luckily I was home and awake to hear and find it.  Shut off the water and informed the fam that there would be no more hot showers.  A quick call to Lowe's before they closed to see if they could replace it.  We have a propane power vent heater than exhausts out PVC.  Of course, those are special order and will take 10-14 days!

Tuesday morning, Brock's 1st birthday: ran to Economy Supply in Athens.  They could get one, but it would take a couple days and was rather expensive.  I really try to support these folks any time I can, but I need hot water.  Off to another dealer that says they have them in stock in Marietta.  Run by the office for a few minutes to check in and hit the road.  I took the opportunity to check into a tankless water heater.  The salesman in Marietta informed me that my gas line was too small and would have to be replaced to go tankless (the heater regulates from 11,000 to 199,000 BTU's).  OK then, we'll just take the tank type.  Back home and unload in the rain (surprise).  Old one drained, pulled out, new one in place.  Ahh, not a single fitting lines up with the old one.  Tank is 1" shorter, exhaust is in the front rather than the rear, and the gas line is on the other left rather than the right.  Back to Economy Supply to get all the fittings, etc. to make this work.  Finally around 7pm, water is heating.  Happy birthday Brock, today you get to have a warm bath.

Brock inspects my work. Luckily, it passes.
Can't even remember Wednesday.

Thursday, Michael's 16th birthday.  Really? 16?  Crazy.  Even crazier, 16 year old that does not want to drive.  Off to a crazy day at work and to the math fair for Ethan at 5.  He had just left soccer practice and was so muddy, we had to go to my folks house so he could shower before going back to the math fair.  Finally home by 6:30 and dinner in the oven.  Next thing I know it is 10:30.

Not a single bit of training all week.  I went to bed planning to bike to work for National Bike to Work Day.  About a 22 mile commute, I was looking forward to the ride.  Weather was supposed to be better and I just need to be in the office by 9am for a meeting.  What better way to start the day?

What do I wake up to on Friday morning?  Seriously?  Rain?  I do not have a regular commuting bike, no fenders, no commuting clothing, and no shower at work.  Drove the car.

No commuting by bike today.
Going to finish the day with a date with my wife.  Hope that goes better than the rest of the week.

No comments: